Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mumo's Carrot Cake

When I finished college and got my first job, it was also the first time I was going to be leaving home. In the few weeks before I was due to move out, I followed my mother round with a little black book writing down the recipes for all the things she cooked and I loved.

This weekend I tried out one of the recipes. It’s a carrot cake – but not as we know it. It’s elegant; delicately and beautifully flavoured. It’s also another cake that has no butter and flour so very light.

Ingredients

6 eggs

200g caster sugar

200 gm raw finely grated carrots

250 gm ground hazelnuts (or almonds)

1 tablespoon kirsch

½ teaspoon cinnamon

Zest of a lemon.

Method

Line a cake tin with parchment and preheat the oven to 180 degrees

Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks

Whisk the sugar and egg yolks under pale and creamy

Add all the other ingredients except the egg whites and mix well.

Carefully fold in the egg white and put into tin

Bake for approximately 1 hour (test with skewer in middle of cake)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home